We all know that getting more exercise can make a real difference in our health. But, did you know that getting a few more steps in everyday can have a meaningful impact on your over all health.
Here are 8 reasons why you should commit to walking more everyday!
- It is a safe, easy exercise for everyone, and does not require any special equipment or a gym.
- It gets your calf-muscle pump active, helping your leg veins return blood to the heart.
- It can improve your health in many ways, including helping you to lose weight, help to lower elevated blood pressure, decrease cholesterol, as well as decrease the risks for heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- It can elevate your mood and lower stress.
- It can improve memory and cognitive capability.
- It can boost your energy level, and the added activity often results in better sleep.
- Social benefits include getting to know your neighbors and your community, spending time with a spouse or friend, or interacting with your dog.
- 10,000 steps…this is an arbitrary number. Studies show that daily walking between 20-30 minutes a day, if done consistently, can make a big difference!