The health of your circulatory system plays a major role in your overall health, transporting oxygen, nutrients and other important elements to every organ and tissue of your body while also removing toxins and excess fluids. It just makes sense to do all you can to take care of your circulatory system so you can enjoy better health and help prevent or eliminate potentially serious issues like varicose veins, spider veins, and deep vein thrombosis. Fortunately, having healthy veins isn’t hard. Here are five top ways to enjoy healthy veins that don’t take a lot of time and effort.
5 To-Dos for Healthy Veins
- Watch what you eat. High-fiber foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, oatmeal, and some seeds and nuts can help you keep your cholesterol under control, which means your overall circulation is improved. Vitamins C, E, and B3 (niacin) are also important for vein health. You can find these vitamins in foods like citrus fruits, eggs and nuts, fish and lean meats. Read your food labels to maximize your nutrition, and avoid high-sodium foods that can cause you to retain water, placing more stress on your veins.
- Drink plenty of water. Making sure you get enough fluids helps your blood remain at an ideal consistency, and that means your blood can flow more easily through your veins. As a result, your tissues and organs can receive the nutrients they need on a consistent basis, and your vessel walls won’t be overtaxed.
- Stay active. Being active improves vein contraction to keep blood flowing. Walking is one of the best activities for healthy veins, plus it helps keep off excess pounds that can increase strain and pressure in your leg veins so your risk for varicose veins in your legs, ankles, and feet can be reduced.
- Get up. If you spend a lot of time sitting each day, make sure to take breaks to get up and move around. Remaining sedentary allows your circulation to slow down, and that can enable your blood to pool inside your veins, increasing pressure and increasing the risk of varicose veins.
- See your vein doctor for routine evaluations and vein care. Most people develop spider veins or varicose veins at some point in their lives, but as common as these issues are, they should never be ignored. Some varicose veins and spider veins can be a sign of a more serious underlying disease that can cause major health problems. Having a regular vein check-up is a great way to make sure your veins stay healthy and to learn about spider vein treatment, hand vein treatment, breast vein treatment and other options that can help you enjoy optimal health while also looking your best.
Keep your veins healthy: Schedule an exam today.
As a leading vein care practice in Boca Raton, Florida, The Kimmel Institute offers men and women the most advanced vein treatment options available. Plus, we help patients learn important lifestyle habits to help them keep their veins healthy so they can avoid serious diseases and eliminate ugly, painful varicose veins and spider veins. To learn more about the treatment options we offer or to schedule a vein checkup, call The Kimmel Center at 561-948-5560 today.